Alex is an experienced property litigator, who has dealt extensively with both residential and commercial properties, whether freehold, leasehold or otherwise.
That expertise includes breach of lease injunctions, damages claims for breach of lease/dilapidations, and forfeiture of leases. He is very experienced in Service Charge disputes (whether this is analysing a lease to determine recoverability, reasonableness challenges or applications to the tribunal to vary defective leases), advising on S.20 consultation (or how to deal with non-compliance) and claims for rectification of defective leases.
He regularly deals with business tenancies and advising on litigation issues connected with development sites, such as due diligence, obtaining vacant possession, and identifying the existence of and how to deal with covenants.
Alex regularly acts for Housing Associations and Local Authorities in relation to all matters housing related, including possession, disrepair, anti-social behaviour, EPAs, policy and leasehold/shared ownership disputes. He also has a practice in bringing or defending professional negligence claims against solicitors, in relation to property matters.
Alex has considerable experience as a trainer and speaks at a number of conferences, including for Capita and the National Housing Federation.
- Acting for a freeholder on the forfeiture of a commercial lease for a pub, resulting in relief from forfeiture being refused due to the scale of dishonesty by the leaseholder, and costs being awarded not only against the leasehold company but also the directors personally.
- Successfully bringing a specific performance and damages claim against a freehold company on behalf of 7 leasehold flat owners whose properties were being damaged by water ingress during the freeholder’s works to build additional flats on the roof of the existing building.
- Successfully settling a forfeiture claim against a well-known supermarket, which allowed them to remain trading despite carrying out unauthorised works and trespassing on retained land, in exchange for a significant rent increase.
- Acting for a Tenant Management Organisation in recovering just short of £1 million of unpaid allowances due to it from the London Borough it managed properties for.
- Acting for a Housing Association excluded from its head office by its own Chief Executive gone rogue. Resulting in obtaining an interim injunction for re-entry within days, followed by successfully defending the board’s very governance of the Associate and defeating the Chief Executive’s attempt to create her on board.
- 2017: Senior Associate Solicitor, Blaser Mills LLP
- 2008: Assistant Solicitor, Devonshires
- 2005: Assistant Solicitor, Edwards Duthie
- 2003: Trainee Solicitor, Edwards Duthie
- 1998: Legal Practice Course, College of Law
- 1997: BA (hons) degree, University of Leicester