Colin is a Partner and Head of the Corporate & Commercial team.
Colin combines formidable technical expertise with ‘hands-on’ industry experience from his former career in retail and consumer marketing with Procter & Gamble, BHS and Wickes.
Corporate transactions are at the heart of Colin’s practice, including joint ventures, management buyouts (MBOs) and mergers & acquisitions, where he frequently acts for buyers and sellers in business and share sales and purchases.
Colin advises on corporate governance, providing guidance to directors and shareholders in relation to their rights, duties and obligations.
He is also an experienced commercial lawyer and has developed a particular expertise in agency, distribution and franchising matters, including commercial agency issues, both in the UK and internationally.
Colin acts for clients across a range of industry sectors, including IT and telecoms, manufacturing and distribution, freight and logistics, health care and professional services.
“Colin Smith has been a trusted adviser of ours for over 10 years, advising the company across a range of corporate, commercial and employment issues. Colin’s technical expertise, swift response times and awareness of the commercial context are highly valued.”
- Acting for the main shareholder in the sale of the share capital in UK, Romanian and Portuguese companies in the mobile technology sector to a US purchaser.
- Acting for the private company shareholders in an AIM reverse takeover of a manufacturing company.
- Acting for the selling shareholders in a management buyout in the healthcare technology sector.
- Drafting new terms & conditions for a major client in the beverage sector.
- Preparing a range of international manufacturing, distribution and agency agreements for a leading distributor of beauty care products.
- 2003: Partner, Blaser Mills
- 2001: Senior Associate, Blaser Mills
- 1998: Qualified, Owen White