Denise specialises in public law care proceedings, acting on behalf of parents and children, and has been involved in complex cases involving non-accidental injuries (NAI) to children, sex abuse, Münchausen Syndrome by Proxy, female genital mutilation, fabricated illness, neglect and all other complex areas. Denise has acted for many parents who have learning difficulties. She also acts for grandparents and extended families in connection with special guardianship matters. Denise advises on private law children matters, acting for both parents and extended family members as well as guardians.
Denise conducts her own advocacy at all levels, including the High Court. She has considerable experience with cases involving complex and conflicting medical evidence as well as cases involving a foreign/immigration element.
Denise has been a member of the Family Law panel since 1999. She has been a member of the Children panel (children representative) since 2001, and also BAAF and NAGALRO.
Denise was awarded Super Lawyer status in both 2013 and 2014, and she continues to be one of the leading lawyers in her field of expertise.
“Denise Herman is a solicitor of immense experience. Her skills in working with children of all ages and their families are excellent. In care and private law applications I, as a Children’s Guardian and Family Court Adviser, need to feel confident that the children I work with are receiving the very best in legal representation and Denise Herman offers this consistently and attentively.”
- Representing a child in a case where there was unexplained bruising and blistering to the child’s body and conflicting medical evidence. The child was eventually diagnosed as suffering from HSP and returned to his family.
- Representing a father in a High Court case where there was complex and conflicting medical evidence and serious NAI to the child with life-limiting consequences.
- Representing a child with spiral fractures and other NAIs. Placement was sought with the child’s grandparents in India and mirror orders were obtained.
- 2012: Head of Child Care and Legal Aid Children, Blaser Mills
- 2001: Children panel member (representing children)
- 2001: Head of Family Law, Blaser Mills
- 1999: Family Law Panel member, Blaser Mills
- 1994: Partner, Blaser Mills
- 1987: Qualified