With the London Olympics now upon us, many employers face the challenge of employees either not turning up for work or being prevented from getting to work by major disruptions.
A recent survey of more than 350 companies revealed that:
– 1 in 5 companies are concerned about the impact the Games will have on the smooth running of their business;
– 93% per cent of businesses don’t have a policy in place to manage time off requests during the Olympics;
– more than two thirds of businesses do not have a procedure in place if employees fail to turn up to work;and
– fewer than 10% of businesses will offer flexible working for employees who may have their travel disrupted during the Games.
Employers should consider how best to ensure business continuity and resilience. For instance:
– how will you deal with multiple annual leave requests?
– how will you deal with unauthorised absences?
– will you allow employees to watch events on TV in the workplace?
– will you allow staff to work at home or from an alternative workplace?