Today is World Environment Day (5 June 2019), a United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
Each year the day focuses on a different environmental issue; this year’s host, China, chose the theme of ‘Beat Air Pollution’.
The theme this year is a critical issue, with the World Health Organisation recently reporting that 91% of the world’s population live in places where the air pollution exceeds recommended health guidelines. In London for example, although levels have improved recently, air pollution has been at illegally high levels since 2010. In 2018, London reached its annual legal limit less than a month into the year, leading to calls for radical action from climate campaigners.
Air pollution could be managed much better if individuals and organisations work together to try and reduce everyday harmful emissions. This can be as simple as cycling work or switching off the computer at the end of the working day.
Blaser Mills Law is committed to making our business as sustainable as possible and to raising awareness of the importance of environmental protection. To help us do this effectively we have teamed up with the Legal Sustainability Alliance (LSA), a collaborative network of nearly 300 law firms, which aim to take positive action by reducing their carbon footprint and addressing climate change. Its members commit to a number of principles that include:-
- Measuring and reducing the impact of operations;
- Working with external stakeholders to reduce indirect impact;
- Integrating awareness of climate change across the business;
- Advising clients on the opportunities and obligations arising from climate change law;
- Working collaboratively to engage in the public debate on climate change and to develop, apply and promote best practice across the sector;
- Report on progress and be accountable;
- Adopting appropriate targets and pursuing meaningful reductions in emissions.
Blaser Mills Law has today launched a new Environmental Policy, which you can find here. This policy has been designed to help us achieve our goal of minimising the environmental impact of our operations.
You can find out more about our activity and environmental initiatives by following our social media accounts, which will be posting content on this throughout the day and in the coming weeks.