This week a number of significant reforms to employment law and procedure have come into force.
- entirely rewritten Employment Tribunals Rules of Procedure;
- fees will now be payable in the employment tribunals and the Employment Appeal Tribunal;
- a cap on the compensatory award for unfair dismissal – this will now be capped at 52 times a week’s pay for the claimant or £74,200 (whichever is the lower);
- compromise agreements and contracts will now be known as settlement agreements;
- pre-termination negotiations between an employer and an employee, conducted with a view to terminating employment on agreed terms, will now be inadmissible in any subsequent unfair dismissal proceedings;
- the time period within which a monetary award which the employment tribunal has ordered must be paid before it incurs interest will now be 14 days (compared to 42 days).