Risk and Compliance Assistant – High Wycombe
(Occasional travel to other offices will be required)
Start Date: ASAP
Department: Practice Management Unit
Report to: Risk and Compliance Solicitor – Lucy Kempson
Type: Initial fixed-term contract of 9 months (with a possibility to make permanent in the future)
Office Location: We have 3 main offices in High Wycombe, Amersham and London, with satellite offices in Rickmansworth and Silverstone.
The role will be based at our head office in High Wycombe.
Working hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm; Monday to Friday
This is a full-time role, although part time hours and/or flexible working arrangements will be considered for exceptional candidates based on their individual circumstances.
Additional hours commensurate with deadlines, responsibilities and demands of the role will be expected as appropriate.
Firm Description: Blaser Mills is a leading law firm based in the South East.
We are a full-service firm, offering a comprehensive range of legal services to businesses and private individuals. We act for blue-chip companies that are household names as well as SMEs, entrepreneurs and not-for-profit organisations.
Blaser Mills has expanded into international markets, regularly advising clients in the UK doing business overseas and international clients wanting to invest in the UK. We have 135 colleagues and a busy back office function to support the firm.
Role: We require a Risk and Compliance Assistant to work within our Risk team.
The successful candidate will report directly to our Risk and Compliance Solicitor Lucy Kempson, and will be expected to provide project support to the CCO Dan Martin, COLP Jon Lilley and MLRO Alex Kirk to deliver our overall compliance strategy. This is an exciting, newly developed role where there will be scope for future development and additional responsibilities.
Assisting the Risk and Compliance solicitor with all aspects of legal compliance on a daily basis including;
- Firm wide training – Inputting webinars and other training on the training portal and ensuring compliance
- Internal training – Assisting with internal departmental compliance training
- Downloading training records for leavers and adding new starters to the portal
- Assisting with the audit process, including file selection and audit lists
Conveyancing panel work:
- Keeping the lender panel portals updated and dealing with panel queries
- Arranging the new starter talks and ensuring training manuals are up to date
- Keeping up to date all central registers including the undertaking, breaches, referral agreements registers
- Assisting with the collation of risk data for the quarterly reviews
- Assisting with the requirements for the accreditations including the annual lexcel audit process
- Assisting with survey monkey questionnaires for PII renewal and diversity data
- Assisting with updating all firm wide policies in line with the firm’s obligations under Lexcel, CQS, GDPR, AML.
- Dealing with all compliance queries or complaints in the absence of the compliance solicitor
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Be highly IT literate
- Have developed legal research skills
- Have an understanding of AML/CTF know your client procedures (i.e. the Money Laundering Regulations 2017), data protection (GDPR/DPA 2018) and Lexcel accreditation.
- Possess a good eye for detail and
- Be able to work to tight deadlines.
- Background in or experience of compliance / practice management in a reputable law firm or other regulated organisation (i.e. accountants practice or financial institution)
Qualifications and Training:
- Educated to Degree level (minimum)
- Strong and competent user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Advanced IT skills/training
- Any additional further learning or professional development in a legal discipline and/or in the areas of compliance, anti-bribery and corruption and/or legal practice management.
Post Completion Assistant – High Wycombe
(Travel to Amersham office will be required weekly)
Experience of residential property is essential. Experience in a busy conveyancing department in a law firm is required.
You must be self-sufficient and aware of the importance of adhering to and pre-empting the required deadlines involved in residential property.
NB. This Job Description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. There may be other duties and requirements associated with the position which you may reasonably be required to undertake.
You will report to Partner, Alexandra Kirk.
To act as a Post Completion Assistant based at the High Wycombe office and to carry out any of the following duties as may be directed.
1. Carrying out registrations for the busy team which include complex applications e.g. first registrations, lease extensions, removal of notices alongside straightforward transfers.
2. Checking ledger balances promptly and working with the team to correct mistakes.
3. Dealing with transfer formalities with management companies/managing agents/landlords.
4. Managing own work load and prioritising.
5. Being proactive as to other issues to be resolved and regular reporting to residential property partner.
Experience of residential property is essential.
There may be possibilities for development within Blaser Mills in the future dependent on suitability and criteria.
If you think you might be the right person for us please apply by forwarding your CV, along with a covering letter to: Clare O’Connor Ashworth at firstname.lastname@example.org